Saturday, September 12, 2009

About Fred Carr......

We tried googling him and didn't really find anything that would help us. As Marit found out, there are several of them. Since we have no idea where he was from or if he worked on the building or was family to someone who did we can't find a definitive answer as to who he was.
Maybe someone will come in the store who will remember having a great-great-great grandad, uncle, whatever and can tell us about him. IF I ever find out, I will let y'all know.

Friday, September 11, 2009

Weekly update....

The work is coming along nicely. We have almost all of the old flooring covering the original flooring torn up. We were not going to tear up the flooring in the kitchen but when we took the old carpet up the sub flooring under that had all gotten wet at some point in time and had just disintegrated. So we had to pull some more flooring up. We have a piece about 3 feet wide and 7 or 8 feet long to tear up and then we will start counter setting nails and then be ready to sand and finish with poly. We hope to get that done this week so we can let the floor cure for a few days and then start painting the walls.
When we finally start painting the work load should lessen quite a bit. We have about a month and a half to get it all done. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. :)
I have some pictures but I need to download them. Maybe I will post some more later this weekend.

Tomorrow we are going to be working here at the house on the hot tub patio. We really need to get that done as the hot tub has to be delivered by Oct 31. D's brother is bringing over his excavator tomorrow to help us dig out the area we need to lower. Should be a nice dirty day of work.


Friday, September 4, 2009

Poor Fred Carr.....

Poor Fred Carr. We decided to take all the plaster off of the wall (it was very loose we discovered) and use the brick behind it.
I tried ever so carefully to cut around him so we could take it down in one piece and frame it for display. I was doing so well when it all just crumbled. There was a large square nail right in the center of it and that is what caused it to crumble. I have the pieces and am going to try to piece them back but I don't have much hope that it will work. I did get a better closer picture before I started taking it down though. So a picture may have to do. :(

I don't have time to upload any pictures right now, but hopefully later this evening I will have the time to.

Things are going really well workwise in at the store. Since we decided to take the plaster down that means we don't have to try to patch the wall and then paint it. Now we just have to clean it up a bit and slap a couple coats of poly on there so it will be easier to clean when we need to do that.
We may be ready to paint the other wall by next week. I hope so. I am so anxious to get rid of the dirty blue that is on the walls now. We are thinking of going for a light green, in mint green or soft sage green. The trim will all be white as it is to intricate to try to clean off the many layers of color on it and just varnish it (which is what I would do if I had unlimited time to do it).

We are going to Cincy today to pick up a bakery case and an L-shaped stainless steel table. That will give up pretty much all the large equipment needed since we already have our oven, sink, and fridge. We still need to decide if we want a range or a burner. We think a range, but the cost will be the deciding factor.

Time to be off. More later.