Wednesday, May 7, 2008

No pictures tonight

I was going to take a picture of my April Sockamania socks and post it but when I was all ready I found that the camera is out in the office and I did not want to walk out there to get it. It is also getting dusky so tomorrow I will do it.
Although I enjoyed knitting the socks I don't think I will do anymore colorwork socks. I just can't get the tension down right. My socks always end up being too tight. The first pair was so tight that I gave them away to someone with a smaller foot than mine, and believe me that was not easy to find.

Several months ago I posted pictures of a sweater that I had knit. It was a combination of silk, wool, and alpaca yarn. It was really beautiful and I loved to wear it. A few months ago I got BBQ sauce on the sleeve and had to wash it. It came out and the sweater was fine. The only problem was that is smelled like wet animal. So I decided to wash it again the other day as the odor would not just air out of it. Sooooo I washed it and it felted!!!! I was so upset! I guess I will have to remake the sweater. It really was my fave and I will miss it so I will just have to redo it.
Evidently when I washed it the first time I washed it on hand wash and this last time I did not. I even put it in a lingerie bag for all the good that did. I will probably put it away in my hopechest as a reminder to not do that again. Now I have to hunt out the pattern and figure how much yarn again and get started so I will have it by fall. DANG!!!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Judy! THAT would be depressing with the sweater! I guess this time you just go for a superwash yarn and maybe buy a skein and wash and dry it a couple times? I know that some of my socks are superwash, but I now handwash them all because I can't always remember which is which. For sweaters, maybe this is an argument for putting an actual tag in after making with the yarns care instructions (NOW I know why Grandma used to do that! 'Course, lots of her stuff was Red Heart lol)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad about the sweater! I tend to use only superwash wool for everything I knit, because I HATE to handwash! Only problem is that so many beautiful yarns are "handwash only"-sigh...
    I hope you knit it again.

    ReplyDelete